- Your child is awarded at least 12 points on the medical-social scale.
- Your child is under 21 years of age (you receive the allowance up to and including the month in which your child turns 21).
- Your child lives in Flanders or the Brussels-Capital Region.
- Your child is Belgian or meets the nationality condition.
The support allowance amounts to €331.22 monthly.
You don't have to apply if your child lives in Flanders
If your child lives in Flanders, you do not have to apply for the support allowance. Your Groeipakket payment fund will automatically pay the allowance when you are entitled to it.
You have to apply if your child lives in Brussels
If your child lives in Brussels, you have to apply for the support allowance in writing (or by e-mail) via one of the five Flemish payment funds. The condition is that you already receive a child benefit supplement for a child with a disability or handicap via a Brussels payment fund.
Your child may be entitled to both the support and the care allowance.
- The care allowance is aimed at helping you with the higher costs of raising a child with a specific support need.
- The support allowance serves additionally to organise non-medical care and support, freely to be chosen by the family, to help improve your child's participation in society.
Until the end of 2022, the basic support budget or care budget for people with disabilities (€300) will be paid by a care fund. As part of the family policy, the Flemish government has decided to transfer this budget for children and young people up to 21 years of age under the name 'support allowance' to the Groeipakket from January 2023 onwards.
- What is the support allowance?
- What conditions must your child meet to be entitled to a support allowance?
- Who can I contact if I have questions about the support allowance?
- How do I apply for the support allowance?
- To whom is the support allowance paid?
- When is the support allowance paid?
- Who pays the support allowance?
- Who continues to receive the basic support budget (basisondersteuningsbudget) from their care fund and is not entitled to the support allowance?
- When is the payment of the support allowance suspended?
- Can the support allowance be paid together with an income replacement allowance (inkomensvervangende tegemoetkoming) and/or an integration allowance (integratietegemoetkoming)?