Leerkracht en leerlingen in een klaslokaal

The exact amount of the school allowance depends on:

  • the type of education
  • the family situation
  • the family income

Allowance amounts

Generally you receive the school allowance at the start of the school year.
The ultimate education type depends on what your child is registered for at the end of the school year.
The amount to which you are entitled may change if your child transfers to a different education during the course of the school year. You may even have to repay some of it.

School supplement
(starting from the 2020 -2021 school year)
  Minimum allowance Full allowance Exceptional supplement
Pre-school education     € 105.98  
Primary education   € 123.67 € 192.33 € 249/75
Secondary education        
pupils living alone
  € 728.67 € 3340.64  
Pupils in 3rd year of 3rd stage full-time technical or


€ 286.77

€ 1156.98

€ 1358.47

internal € 741.11 € 1902.03  
All others in full-time secondary education external

€ 238.89

€ 964.05

€ 1131.94

internal € 617.60 € 1584.98  
Learning and working / dual system   € 200.87 € 549.27 € 708.59
Higher vocational education (HBO5) Nursing external

€ 848.06

€ 1238.94

internal € 848.06 € 3720.75  
Higher education € 51.10/year (on top of the study allowance, paid by the Flemish Ministry of Education)


First we look at whether someone is following full-time or part-time education before we look at marriage, independent or single parent, or at third year - third grade.

Type of education

Different amounts apply depending on the type of education:

  • pre-primary education
  • primary education
  • secondary education
    • full-time secondary education
    • third year of the third grade full-time TSO or BSO
    • learning and working system or work-based learning
  • higher vocational education (HBO5) nursing

Internal pupils

For many secondary pupils, the allowance amount is higher for an internal pupil. These are pupils who attend boarding school or live in student accommodation for at least 149 days during the school year (around 5 months).

  • We receive boarding-school details from the Ministry of Education.
  • If a pupil lives in student accommodation, they must produce a tenancy agreement for at least 5 months.
  • Contact your payment fund for more details.
  • A married, independent or single pupil always counts as 'internal'.

Family situation

There are four possible family situations or 'statuses' for a pupil:

  • 'Dependent' status
  • Married status
  • Independent status
  • Single status

This status determines whose income we use to calculate whether the pupil is entitled to the school allowance.

'Dependent' pupil

The pupil lives with someone who is responsible for their upbringing, generally one or both parents. We use the income of the parent(s) or guardian(s) for the further calculation.
It can therefore be the income of one parent plus that parent's partner.

Married pupil

You are a 'married' pupil if you:

  • are married;
  • legally cohabit;
  • actually cohabit with someone together with whom you have children;
  • actually cohabit with someone who has children who become dependent on you or on whom your children become dependent
  • has the right to reside in Belgium and actually cohabits with someone who has permission to reside in Belgium in order to continue a sustainable relationship or if you have that permission and actually cohabit with someone who has a right to reside.

We use the income of you and your partner for the further calculation.

Independent pupil

You are an 'independent' pupil if you:

  • are emancipated;
  • are 16 and no longer officially live with your parents/guardians;
  • receive a Groeipakket yourself for one or more children or for yourself.

We use your income for the further calculation.

Single person pupil

You are a 'single person' pupil if you:

  • do not reside with your parent(s)/guardian(s);
  • are not an independent or married pupil.

We use your income (to the extent that you have any) for the further calculation.

Twee kinderen houden een stapel boeken boven hun hoofd

How do we calculate the allowance?

To determine the income thresholds, we look at the family size in points.

Is your family income:

  • Under the minimum threshold?
    In that case, you will receive the full allowance.

  • Between the minimum threshold and the maximum threshold?
    Then you receive a portion of the full allowance.

  • Above the maximum threshold?
    Then you are not entitled to the school supplement.


Amount of allowance = full allowance x [(maximum threshold - family income) / (maximum threshold - minimum threshold)]


  • Your family income is 30,000 euro
  • Your family has 3 points
  • You have a pupil in primary education

Amount of partial allowance = 188.19 euro x [(47,089.41 euro − 30,000 euro) / (47,089.41 euro – 25,296.38 euro)] = 188.19 euro x (17,089.41 euro / 21,793.03 euro) = 147.57 euro

If the result is lower than the minimum allowance, the minimum allowance will be given.

A foster child that has lived more than 12 consecutive months in the same foster family on 31 August of the school year concerned, does not need to meet the financial conditions and thus always receives the full allowance.

Exceptional allowance

You are entitled to the exceptional allowance if your family income is lower or equal to a tenth of the maximum income threshold and consists for at least 70% of:

  • Replacement income (unemployment benefit, sickness benefits, early retirement pension)
  • Or (equivalent) income support
  • Or income replacement allowance
  • Or maintenance

Some pupils can never be entitled to the exceptional allowance:

  • internal pupils
  • married pupils
  • independent pupils
  • single person pupils