Who receives the social allowance?

For all families

You are entitled to the social allowance if your family income is less than or exactly € 32.882,77 gross per year.

For families with three or more children

You are entitled to the social allowance if:

  • your family income is between € 32.882,77 and € 64.945,93.
  • and at least one of your children receives the new basic amount.

How much is the social allowance?

Children born in 2019 and later

Children born in 2019 and later receive the following amounts per month:

Annual income

≤ € 32.882,77

32.882,77 to € 64.945,93

Family with one or two children

54,12 per child

No allowance

Family with more than two children

86,59 per child

64,94 per child

Children born before 2019

Children born before 2019 receive the monthly amounts under the old child benefits system, based on their basic amount.

What applies in the event of divorce?

Your child spends an equal amount of time living with each parent (evenly split housing)

If your child lives as much with one parent as with the other parent (evenly split housing 50/50), then the following applies:

  • Each parent's income is considered separately within their newly composed family.
  • The amount is determined on the basis of family size and children with evenly split housing count in full towards the newly composed family.
  • Both parents, one of them or neither of them may be entitled to a social allowance.
    • If both parents are entitled, each will receive half the amount.
    • If only one parent is entitled to a social allowance, that parent will receive half of the amount, which will be paid into the account number indicated by that parent, irrespective of the account number into which the basic amount and any other allowances are paid.

Your child lives more with one parent than the other (unevenly split housing)

If your child lives more with one parent than with the other (unevenly split housing), the following applies:

  • The income of the parent with whom the child resides most is considered within his or her newly composed family.
  • If entitled to the social allowance, that parent receives the full amount.

Your child lives with a foster family or has been placed in an institution

  • If a child lives in a foster family, they will be fully counted in the foster family for the calculation of the social allowance and family size.
  • If placed in an institution, the child will, for the calculation of the allowance and family size, be fully counted in the family where they lived before the placement unless the court decides otherwise.

What do we mean by family income?

To determine your family income, we look at your income if you live alone. If you live with your partner, we look at the income of both of you.

Alarm bell procedure: what if the assessment notice does not correspond to your current income situation?

The assessment notice does not always accurately reflect your current income situation (usually income from two years ago). If, due to circumstances, you suddenly suffer a severe drop in salary or if your family situation sees a sudden, drastic change (e.g. you become single), the allowance can still be granted:

  • Electronically
    • If one parent receives income support, an income replacement allowance (IVT) or an income guarantee for parents (IGO), the payment fund will award the social allowance for those months automatically.
  • Manually
    • You can contact your payment fund yourself to report that your income has been below the stated income limit for at least six consecutive months.
    • The social allowance will then be paid for the period in question and up until the start of the next allocation year, which runs from the 1st of October to the 30th of September of the following calendar year.